The Walker College Foundation was originally part of Walker College, a private, two-year college established in 1938 by Dr. Carl A. Jesse.
The college's first 45 students and four faculty members attended classes in a building downtown until the first building, Davis Hall, was built in 1941, with a Federal Works Project Administration grant.
After Dr. Jesse's death in 1955, Dr. David Rowland was named his successor and was instrumental in the growth of the development fund through extensive funding raising efforts.
His most memorable and effective campaigns included the silver dollar campaign and the $2 Bill campaign to show community members the economic impact made by having the college in their community. Many of his friends and supporters established the endowed scholarship funds that are still supporting students today.
In December 1993, as the University of Alabama at Birmingham negotiated to take over the operation of Walker College, the development/scholarship fund was separated from Walker College and established as a 501(c)(3) stand-alone, public, education foundation.
In January 1994, UAB acquired the education/college side of Walker College and the Foundation remained with the Board of Trustees. When Bevill State Community College took over Walker College in 1998, the Foundation continued to operate as a separate entity and remains a non-profit, public, education foundation.